Art show slated for Saturday, Dec. 1The public is invited to view entries in the Competitive Art Exhibition being held Saturday, Dec. 1, in Farmerville by the Union Arts Council. The art show will be held from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the auditorium of Farmerville High School, 300 Anthony St. Admission is free. Many artworks will be for sale to the public. Proceeds of the event will be donated to the art program of Farmerville High School. The entries by Union Parish artists will be in a variety of media: two-dimensional fine art (paintings, drawings, photographs), three-dimensional fine art, and folk art. All entries will be judged by Dr. Joni Noble, associate professor of art at the University of Louisiana at Monroe. Adult winners will be awarded ribbons and cash prizes; youth winners will receive ribbons and gift cards. Show visitors will also vote for the “People’s Choice” winner. Art show visitors are invited to attend other Farmerville events on the same day: the Historical District Tour of Homes, children’s programs at the library, and the Christmas Parade at 6 p.m.
ARTISTS: For specifics on entering your works in the show, see earlier post regarding the prospectus.
"Christmas in the Country" events: art show, tour, Santa, parade, shoppingThe weekend of Dec. 1-2 will be abuzz with Christmas activities in Farmerville, starting with the Arts Council's Art Show:
- The Union Arts Council’s first annual Competitive Art Exhibition will be held at the Farmerville High School auditorium from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., on Saturday, Dec. 1, and will feature local artists’ works in all media. Many items will be for sale. Admission is free. The school is located on Anthony Street near Academy Street.
- The Historical District Association of Farmerville will hold its second annual Tour of Homes from 1 to 5:30 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 1. Homes on the tour are located along Academy Street and Bayou Street. The theme this year is “Love Stories.” Tour tickets are $5, and are available at the Chamber of Commerce office, 116 N. Main St., Farmerville, and at the offices of Dr. Steven Unkel, 811 James Ave., Farmerville.
- "Love Warms the Heart of Christmas" -- 2 to 4 p.m. at the Union Parish Library on West Jackson St., Farmerville (see map inside). Children are invited to have their photo made with Santa and Mrs. Claus, and to meet sweethearts Rudolph and Clarice, and Frosty the Snowman and his wife Crystal. Make holiday crafts for those you love.
- The annual Christmas Parade, sponsored by the Farmerville Jaycees, will roll at 6 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 1, in downtown Farmerville. The glittering nighttime parade is a favorite feature of the holiday season.
- Holiday Shop-UP, sponsored by the Union Parish Chamber of Commerce, will be held on Sunday, Dec. 2, from 1 to 5 p.m. The annual shopping extravaganza will celebrate the season with merchants’ open houses and festivities. Merchants will also welcome visitors on Saturday, Dec. 1